51 winning website traffic ideas
51 Winning Website Traffic Ideas
You create a website to share your knowledge and experience. You develop great content for it. Traffic trickles in but you expected a lot more. Where are all the people and why aren’t they coming to the site? Don’t be discouraged. You just entered a new stage of your business development. It’s time to direct and drive traffic to your site. However, you don’t want just any traffic. You want targeted traffic.
What is targeted traffic? Targeted traffic is the portion of traffic that is a part of your target market and arrives at your site due to marketing strategies and offers crafted specifically to grab their attention. These pre-qualified visitors can turn into leads, which can turn into buyers, then become repeat buyers, and ultimately turn into loyal customers.
With millions of websites on the internet vying for your target market’s attention, you need to actively attract and convert your ideal buyers. Of course, before you started your online business venture, you created a persona of your ideal customer and developed a niche and perhaps a sub-niche, as well.
To refresh your memory a little, an example of a broad target audience could be women. Niching that down further, an example could be middle-aged women. Going one-step further, you could target single, middle-aged, women. As you can see, you can continue niching your audience down as needed. When you know your target audience well, you can successfully market to them by providing the information and solutions they need.
While knowledge of online technology and marketing is very helpful, you don’t have to be an expert. You can learn as you go. Implementing what you learn, as you learn it, can make a real difference to your bottom line. Consider beginning with Search Engine Optimization (SEO). It’s not as scary as it sounds. In fact, it’s one of the easiest technology/marketing strategies to learn and implement. With a little knowledge about how to use keywords and a keyword research tool, you can get started right away. Just place the keywords in prominent places such as in your headlines, links, categories, descriptions, etc., in order to encourage your viewers to click, read more, and take action.
Once you have keywords in place throughout your site, make certain you create engaging content, including posts, images, and other items. Ask pertinent questions in the title or in the first paragraph to keep your audience engaged. Learn the difference between writing for your audience and writing at them.
It isn’t enough to have great website content and targeted traffic. If you want to make money, you need to sell something, whether it is something of your own or an affiliate item. While your website draws in traffic, it’s up to you to make the experience personal for your readers and profitable for your business. The best way to do both of those is by creating an email list where you can get to know your readers better and promote items they want and need. Once you have your mailing list set up, you’ll need to convert website visitors into email subscribers.
How do you get visitors to become email subscribers? Offer visitors something they just can’t turn down, in exchange for joining your list. This is often efficiently done with a “pop-up” reminder, which offers the reader something that is free only when they join by adding their email address in the email capture portion, below the offer. An email capture, marketing strategy works well on your site as well as on many social media platforms.
Social media platforms like Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Reddit, Pinterest, and others can help you gain targeted traffic. Once you discover the social media sites that your readers favor, share post teasers, and other info on those sites to bring more targeted traffic to you. Each social media platform caters and appeals to a slightly different group of people. For you, this means that some social media sites will be a better fit for your business and its goals than other social media sites are. Make note of the social media platforms that bring you the most traffic and try out new social sites to help you stay ahead of your competition.
Getting traffic to your site isn’t difficult. Search engines can do a lot of the work for you. However, the key to getting the right traffic is to make effective use of search engines and other options available to you. Here are 51 winning website traffic ideas to help you reach your target market and your goals.
- Don’t be afraid of learning SEO. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the art of raising your position on search engine results pages (SERPs) by using specific strategies, techniques, and tactics. The higher you are on the results page, the higher your ranking is and the more targeted leads you’ll get.
- Create interactive blog posts – Content is king, queen, and everything else royal these days. Your content needs to be interactive. Ask questions that allude to a problem and its solution. For example, a life coach that wants to find readers who need more money and a positive mindset could create a blog post asking something like, “How Are Negative Thoughts Limiting Your Paycheck?” Readers who can relate, that is those that have negative thoughts and want more money will click through to find out more.
- Create a FB group – When you create a Facebook group related to your business, you essentially create a community where people with similar interests can interact with you and each other. We all talk about how busy our lives are but we often find time to “wind down” or “start the day” with social media interaction. A Facebook group can be a great way to find new leads and connect with existing customers.
- Get a good pop-up for email capture – Having a good pop-up email capture in place can literally make the difference between being forgotten and making multiple sales. Since pop-ups can be annoying, especially if not used properly, it’s important to choose a pop-up that has a variety of options and features. When you have more control of how, when, and where the pop-up appears, you can gently remind your reader to sign up for your offer. Remember, your visitor comes for info. If the pop-up covers up or restricts viewing the info before they know it’s good, they may just leave the page, never to return. Use pop-ups wisely.
- Create a special report – A free, special report about the most common problems your readers face will likely attract the right traffic. In exchange for signing up and giving you their email addresses, you will give them the free report. Once they are on the list, you can market to them via email providing more info and relative offers.
- Run a contest or sweepstakes – Before you create a contest or run a sweepstakes, be sure to know the difference both professionally and legally. Every state has its own rules when it comes to what differentiates the two. However, a properly run and executed sweepstakes or contest can bring in loads of traffic and plenty of new list sign ups. Consider hosting these several times a year rather just during the traditional “holiday season.”
- Create a forum – Creating a forum is a great way to build a sense of community. People can give advice, opinions, and input on your content as well as support each other. This is also a great way for you to get to know your audience. Listen carefully to what they say and what they don’t say. Keep members active and involved by asking open-ended questions and sharing your thoughts.
- Include keywords throughout your site – If you are not familiar with keywords, the best place to start is with a good keyword tool. There are many out there. Some site owners prefer Wordtracker while others like to use SEO Book or Google Suggest. Try out several to decide what features you want and which tool works best for your bottom line.
- Participate on social media platforms – If you haven’t jumped on the social media bandwagon, it’s time. The old adage, “Out of sight, out of mind,” applies when it comes to social media. Be active and involved. You need to pay your dues by liking and sharing posts as well as by leaving some words of encouragement on others’ timelines. Following people on Twitter or liking their Facebook Pages will return to you tenfold.
- Use StumbleUpon – StumbleUpon is a social network, which acts as a type of search engine called a discovery engine. It uses individual readers’ preferences, likes, and dislikes, etc., to tailor search results by finding or discovering even the more obscure content the reader wants and likes. This network is popular among marketers for a variety of reasons, which include the ability to rate posts, share pictures, and add videos too.
- Spread the word in your communities – Do you belong to a local community group? Word of mouth still counts today, especially when you are socially active. Make it easy for your fellow group members to find and share your business info by giving them a business card or two. Consider creating a special free product or service just for group members. This will help them to get a more personal feel for what you do and they will be more likely to share their “new find” with others.
- Create a newsletter – Once your mailing list is set up, it’s time to create a newsletter. You may think these are too time-consuming or you don’t have the right skills. Don’t worry. Your newsletter can be as simple as an update or the notification of a new product. Constant Contact, AWeber, and Mail Chimp are popular email marketing platforms that help you stay connected with your prospects and loyal customers through autoresponders, newsletters, and other forms of email correspondence.
- Keep in touch – If you are between contests or new product messages, make certain to keep in touch with your readers. Email about a good article on a related hot topic. Send a message about your latest post. Just keep feeding your readers information they are interested in. If it is a new season, send them an infographic with some interesting topic related facts. Create an infographic with one of your own sayings and pass it along.
- Create a press release – While it may sound old school, it is still effective and can bring traffic to your website. Your press release does not have to be long. You can (and should) create an intriguing headline along with short, concise body information.
- Make your website search engine friendly – Your website content should relate to the needs and wants of your target market. While visitors will share website posts and other info, search engines play the most prominent role in your success. Keep them happy by beginning with a quality website theme or template. Poorly coded or outdated themes can do more harm than good. Learn and implement solid Search Engine Optimization practices. When you know the tried and true SEO techniques, you aren’t as easily scammed by “do-it-quick” sales pitches, empty promises, or black-hat strategies for gaining traffic or money. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn’t true.
- Create engaging headlines – Make sure your blog posts have well-crafted titles and headlines as well as sub-headings, when applicable. Your titles and headlines should be engaging, contain power words to encourage action, peak curiosity, and when possible, allude to the solution of a problem.
- Ask questions in your headlines – When you create a headline question, it’s important that your target market can identify with the question. The more your reader can relate to the topic or problem, the more likely he, or she is to click through to find the answer. Here is a good example – “How Are Negative Thoughts Limiting Your Paycheck?”
- Include links to relevant posts – Links are important, both incoming and outgoing links. Make it a priority to link related posts on your site to each other. This is often referred to as “internal” linking. In addition, occasionally link to related content on expert sites. This is called “external” linking. Linking to expert or authority sites can help to elevate your authority standing. When a website refers to and links to your site, it is referred to as an “incoming” link.
- Reward your target audience – Create a special thank you for your target audience and post it on social media with a request to share. A little thank you goes a long way. Provide a special link new signups can use to get the item and get on your email list.
- Set yourself up as an authority – The topic you chose for your website is one you know a great deal about. People in your circles see you as an “authority” on this subject. To help others see you in this light, share, share, and share some more. Get out there and “be seen” in your local area and online. Share your knowledge and experiences on your website. Offer to guest post on similar sites. Team up with another authority figure. Host a webinar to teach or mentor others. Mention and quote your favorite authorities. Sponsor events. Stay up to date on your topic to keep traffic coming your way.
Above all, keep learning and sharing in a variety of ways and places to build your authority reputation.
- Guest post – Offer to make guest posts on related sites. The more visible you make yourself, the more targeted traffic you will receive. Make certain to guest post on a site that is relevant to your topic.
- Participate on topic related sites – Make time to interact on similar sites and in groups that discuss topics such as the ones covered on your website. Your visibility and consistently knowledgeable contributions can create curiosity about your website and encourage others to visit. Make sure you add a link to your site in your profile or the website area, when possible. As search engines index these other sites, you may find that your site moves up on search result pages and you get more traffic.
- Keep writing fresh, new content – Don’t write a few blog posts or articles and stop. Your readers and search engines are hungry for your information. Add new content on a regular basis to keep them both happy and returning to your website. Remember infographics, blog posts, articles, pictures, audios, and videos are types of content, too.
- Tweet often and much – Every time you run a new contest, add a new blog post, post a new video or picture, tweet about it.
- Collect and review traffic data – Learn how to collect and use traffic data to analyze your web traffic, marketing endeavors, and advertising campaigns. Keeping track of where your traffic comes from, what actions visitors take, and where they go, enables you to identify what works, what doesn’t work, and what you can do to draw more targeted traffic to your website.
- Market and network connections new and old – “Make new friends but keep the old. One is silver and the other gold.” Keeping up with your market and network connections can give you an edge, especially when it comes to traffic. Keep in touch with your existing connections but remember to make and build relationships with new people in your industry. Both new and old connections can be an advantage to your business and send targeted traffic to your website.
- Make an infographic – People love visuals and a picture really is worth a thousand words. Using infographics is a great way to explain complex or confusing concepts to your readers. Readers also tend to share these helpful infographics, which drives more traffic to your site.
- Quote yourself on memes – Add one of your own quotes to a post-related image. Share the image on social media sites with a link back to that post or to a related category. This helps to drive traffic to a targeted area of your site while helping to elevate your authority level.
- Use your elevator speech – If you want to draw more traffic, craft and practice your ever-ready elevator speech. The elevator speech lets your prospects know what you do, why you do it, and most importantly, how this could benefit them. Snippets can also be used in various places on your website as part of the descriptions.
- Add videos to your site – Include multiple types of content in each website post. Use your own videos when possible. You may also want to use YouTube or social media videos that have gone viral. Using multiple types of content encourages a greater range of search engine results and greater traffic.
- Add photos to your blog or site – Photos of people enjoying or using your product can encourage your prospects to take action. Be sure to associate the image with a positive emotion that your prospect wants to have or feel.
- Create lists – Everyone likes lists. They are short, concise, and save time. Offer “top” lists such as “The Top 7 Reasons to Use Lists.” Create a list of how-tos with specific instructions on how to achieve a goal. Make certain to include a call to action at the end.
- Make a top 100 list – Readers love “top 100” lists, especially if they are short and concise. These longer lists are a great choice for “the year in review” type of posts.
- Create a guide – Guides are important marketing tools because they offer valuable information in one place. If you can offer information all in one place, you make readers happy and can gain their trust, which makes them want to come back for more.
- Learn how to use YouTube – For many website owners, writing keeps them busy. They don’t often think of putting themselves out there on video. Consider learning how to use YouTube and creating your own channel to capture targeted traffic. Web users love videos.
- Add text to your website images – The Google bot cannot “see” a photo so add tags, descriptions, and other meta-data to images along with text for site visitors. This encourages visitors and search engines to come back repeatedly.
- Join Facebook groups relevant to your niche – When you want to draw traffic to your website, it’s important to join several different groups on Facebook and become active in them. Once you gain trust, make friends, and gain followers, you can promote your business appropriately in these groups.
- Join Google + – If you’ve done Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest, don’t forget about Google +. You can share your content with others in your circles and they, in turn, can share your content in their circles. It’s a wonderful way to have your content spread.
- Ask experts to write guest posts for your website – Have other experts write guest posts for your site. They will link back to their post on your site so that their readers become your readers as well – instant traffic.
- Give and create interviews – Interviews make it easy for new people to get to know you and discover why you are an expert in your field. When you grant an interview to someone, they will likely link to the interview and your site. Request an interview from your own mentors or experts in your field. Helping your readers get to know the people you admire or credit with your own success associates your name with other well-known people and can give your authority level a boost, along with website traffic.
- Create a webinar – Offer a webinar that shows or explains how to do something in a different way. You can offer valuable tools, tips, advice, and teachings through your webinar. You can also turn the webinar into a paid product for those who were unable to attend.
- Create a tutorial – Nothing beats a great tutorial to reach your target audience. You can begin with a teaser alert telling your mailing list readers that you will be working on a tutorial for them. Send another email announcing that in two weeks the tutorial will be ready. Send out emails with dates and times to have readers sign up. Limit the special offer by time or number to create a sense of urgency.
- Create plenty of How-to Posts – Millions of people search the internet with the words “How to” in front of their search. How to posts will bring targeted traffic to your website with people searching for that very same query.
- Add graphs and pie charts go guides – More technical web users want to find out information but want it in the form of a comprehensive guide. Include graphs and pie charts to squash any fears, doubts, or insecurities they may have.
- Post an opinion post/ask for comments – Don’t be afraid to be a little bit controversial in your posts. Leave a comment on your own post that has a strong opinion and is possibly controversial to draw comments from readers who may have a different point of view or angle. Get people talking on your site.
- Create a frequently asked questions section – Many web surfers, especially the more experienced surfers, look for, and actually expect websites to have a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section. Creating a thorough FAQ encourages these viewers to come back repeatedly because you offer them easy-to-find, accurate information. Since FAQs often contain a question, search engines are also likely to index these sections, making you the “go-to” site on specific topics.
- Offer hacks on topics of interest – People love short cuts or hacks. Create posts on how to use topic related hacks to make life easier for your target market. You may be surprised how many people use the word, “hack” when doing a search for your topics.
- Create a free printable worksheet to visitors – After explaining an advanced or confusing concept, offer visitors a printable worksheet or checklist related to the concept. This strategy is especially beneficial to you if you offer product report packages that also contain worksheets. The visitor gets to see just how much product worksheets can help them, while search engines index the download page. With very little effort on your part, you may find that your free-to-visitor worksheet goes viral and attracts a lot of traffic.
- Give homework and request comments – Ask your readers to try a “solution” or “strategy” and let you know how it worked for them. If it worked, ask what they liked best about it. If it didn’t work, ask what they suggest to make it better. Encourage your readers to share their thoughts and opinions. When you actively listen to your audience and people feel that they matter, not only will they come back but also they will bring their friends with them.
- Create coupon codes – Everybody loves coupons and deals. They also love to tell others about their good fortune. When a visitor gets a great deal, bragging rights come next. The more the visitor has to brag about the more targeted traffic you will receive. Create coupon codes that members can share with their friends. Don’t forget to make things easy for mobile users by using a QR code too.
- Create a top 10 list of most important skills to have on the subject – Create a top 10 list of the most important skills your reader should have on a particular subject. Sometimes they just want a quick fix and need a little hope that there is a solution for what they consider their problem.
Do you need more traffic? These 51 winning website traffic ideas can help you usher your targeted traffic straight to you website. Use them one at a time to test the results or combine the ideas to meet your specific goals.
In order to get the best results, give it some time and be patient. Find what works best for you and most importantly for your customer, the results will follow.